January 11, 2021 Slow Cooked Hearty Pork Stew
I’ve been sharing recipes on Italian Food Forever for almost twenty years now. I do sort through all of my hundreds of recipes, drop some, and update others when I complete a blog redo. There are some older recipes however, that I need to retest from time to time and update with new photos. This is one of those recipes; one I’ve made for many years when the seasons change and the colder weather moves in. This is a very comforting dish that warms both your belly and soul.
I initially posted this recipe using a slow cooker and will still share those instructions. I was recently sent an Italic Cast Iron Dutch Oven to test out from Italic.com and decided to prepare this recipe using my new pot on the stovetop to share a second method of preparation. This is a basic recipe that I start with when making a stew. You could add some frozen artichokes or sautéed mushrooms if you prefer. I like to serve hearty stews such as this one on top of creamy polenta, but you could also use mashed potatoes or serve the stew in bowls with some crusty bread to sop up all of the tasty sauce.
My favorite topping for meaty soups and stews is Gremolata, a combination of chopped fresh parsley, lemon, and garlic. This vibrant topping adds a freshness to the dish and really enhances the flavor. If you choose to make polenta to accompany this stew, you might want to try my Creamy Baked Polenta or my Basic Polenta recipe.
Deborah Mele Revised 2021
Slow Cooked Hearty Pork Stew Prep Time: 20 minutes Cook Time: 3 hours Total Time: 3 hours 20 minutes
A hearty pork stew slow cooked for hours in the slow cooker or on the stovetop until meltingly tender.
- 2 Pounds Boneless Pork Shoulder Roast
- 1/2 Cup Flour Seasoned With Salt & Pepper
- 6 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Large Onion, Cut Into Chunks
- 4 Medium Carrots, Peeled & Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 3 Celery Stalks Cut Into 1-inch Pieces
- 3 Garlic Cloves, Minced
- 1/2 Cup White Wine
- 2 (14 Ounce) Cans Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Finely Chopped Fresh Rosemary
- 1/2 Teaspoon Fennel Seeds
- Salt & Pepper to Taste
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Fresh Parsley
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 Large Garlic Clove
- Trim the roast of fat, and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Place the flour in a plastic bag, dump in the pork pieces and shake the bag until coated.
- Heat half the oil in a heavy skillet or Dutch Oven, and cook half the pork pieces over medium heat until lightly browned.
- If Using a Slow Cooker, place the browned pork pieces in the slow cooker, then continue to brown the remaining pieces, and place these in the slow cooker when browned as well.
- Dump the rest of the browned pork and remaining stew ingredients except the garnish into the slow cooker and turn it on low for 8 hours.
- If using a Dutch Oven, after browning the meat, remove it to a plate, and saute the onion, carrots, celery, and garlic until tender, about 5 minutes.
- Return the meat to the pot along with the remaining stew ingredients except the topping.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours or until the rest is very tender.
- Just before the stew is finished, chop the topping ingredients together.
- Serve the stew on polenta, or in bowls with a sprinkling of Gremolata on top.
Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 653Total Fat: 46gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 29gCholesterol: 136mgSodium: 276mgCarbohydrates: 17gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g © Deborah Mele Cuisine: Italian / Category: Meat – Pork